It takes a lot of cookies (6 dozen every two days during summer) to keep the “Bottomless Cookie Jar” full at Newcastle Inn.
This recipe comes from my time working at the 1811 House in Manchester, Vermont. This is Marnie’s recipe exactly as she created it. The surprise ingredient of corn flakes makes them especially delicious. Thank you Marnie for a wonderful cookie recipe!
This is a crisp cookie. If you are looking for a soft, chewy chocolate chip cookie this is not the recipe to use.
Make your reservation and see for yourself what tasty cookie will be in the cookie jar during your visit!
Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 T. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup)butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal – old fashioned, not quick cooking
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in bowl.
- In a clean bowl, cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with oil, beginning and ending with flour and mix until combined.
- Stir in cornflakes, oatmeal and chocolate chips by hand.
- Chill dough at least an hour before baking.**
- Scoop dough out on greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper) placing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake 12 – 14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly on cookie sheet before removing them to a cooling rack.
**Alternately, you can portion the dough out on your cookie sheets and pop the cookie sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm them up and then put right into the oven.