Everyone wants to maximize their summer vacation this year. And the best way to do that is to be prepared with a list of the top ten things to do wherever your summer travels take you in 2021.
Summer in Maine
Summer in Maine is fast approaching. And with the world reopening slowly and carefully, the zest to get outside and explore is on everyone’s to do list this year. After a long drought of travel opportunities in recent months, pent up demand to get in the car and go is at an all time high.
Welcome at the Newcastle Inn
At the Newcastle Inn in mid-coast Maine, we’re looking forward to welcoming new friends and old to our little slice of heaven on the Damariscotta River. From our central location, access to the wealth of wild and wonderous things to see and do is literally just outside the door.
Top Ten Things to Do
Fantastic hiking trails, kayaking trips, and adventure cruises are but a few of what you can expect to find in our neck of the woods. From historic or haunted tele-tours to wildlife excursions via riverboat, there’s something to suit everyone’s taste. And let us not forget the thirst for hand-crafted beer and spirits that fuels many a good day out and about.
So, here in no particular order, are what many consider the 2021 top ten things to do when visiting us at the Newcastle Inn.
- Damariscotta River Cruises: Watch for ospreys and bald eagles as you cruise the Damariscotta River on an oyster and wine-tasting trip, seal or sunset tour.
- Mid Coast Kayak: Paddle your way along the river on a guided tour of Muscongus Bay, Christmas Cove, or the Friendship Archipelago.
- Oxbow Brewing Company: Belly up to the bar in the tasting room at this small farmhouse brewery serving ales with a distinctive European sway.
- Split Rock Distilling: Take a tour of this authentic distillery created in the backwoods of Maine.
- Dodge Point: A network of trails leads through the forest and along the Damariscotta River. Pack a picnic and watch for abundant bird and wildlife.
- Salt Bay Heritage Trail: This peaceful loop trail leads to a midden of North American oyster shells across boardwalk and salt marsh.
- Whaleback Shell Midden State Historic Site: Named for a shell heap resembling a whaleback, this short, accessible trail winds along the shore of the Damariscotta River.
- Red Cloak Tours: Maine’s largest historic walking tour company offers a variety of trips revealing the mysteries, legends, and folklore of the region.
- Puffin Watch: Hardy Boat Cruises offer a 90-minute puffin watch trip out to Egg Island where these colorful birds roost from May through August.
- Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens: Nestled along the rocky coastline, gorgeous gardens and whimsical sculptures dot the landscape in nearby Boothbay.
Make plans now to visit us in mid-coast Maine for a summer vacation filled with fun, outdoor activity and memory-making moments. Book online or call us at (207) 563-5685. Choose one of our beautiful rooms in the main house, or a charming accommodation in our historic Carriage House.